"LOS ANGELES, July 29 -- A substantial earthquake shook metropolitan Los Angeles at midday Tuesday, swaying high rises in the city's center and western sections and rattling nerves across the region. There were no immediate reports of injuries from the quake, which the U.S. Geological Survey initially said had a magnitude of 5.8 but then downgraded somewhat to 5.4. The quake struck at 11:42 a.m. (2:42 EDT) and its epicenter was 29 miles east-southeast of downtown, near the community of Chino Hills. The USGS measured the quake's probable depth at eight miles."
Being that I finished summer school on Friday of last week, I had this week to rest and do all the things that I had to do mentally to prepare for the immediate future. One of those things was to visit a bike shop in Huntington Beach -- Yes, I started ridding again with the hope that I will actually commute HOME from work (Ashley will drop me off in the morning with the bike and I will ride one way home -- Mainly due to my dress code at work, we will try one way for now.) Anyway, I was at this bike shop and it happened. I will do my best to describe what an earthquake feels like for all of those that have never experienced one (not that I am an expert now, this being my first):
My first thought was that there was a dump truck next to the building collecting garbage because it shock the floor and was very loud, but when it got stronger and began to rattle the glass and the ground felt like I was trying to stand and keep my balance on a water bed I thought that an airplane was landing on top of us. Pathetically at this point the veterans that worked at the store were calling out to each other preparing for the worst, but I just stood there in disbelief. It really wasn't until my brain caught up with my muscles that I realized I should stop, drop, and roll -- or something. Luckily for all of us it was not that strong and the structures in this area are built to withstand such shakes. Also, there are 2 types of earthquakes and this was the "rolling" kind so it rolled in and rolled out. No harm no foul.
Truthfully speaking, I was completely blown away by how overwhelming this event was. Being that this was my first, I was a total idiot and probably could have gotten hurt. Gracias a Dios y la virgen no me golpeo. The hardest part of the whole experience was when I tried to call Ashley at work after it happened and the "network was busy". I tried calling for about 45 minutes with no luck. It gave me a glimpse into how disastrous something like this could be and how worthless cell phones are in such cases.
Take home message -- lose your cell phone, they are worthless and think of how much money we will save each month. AHH, don't listen to me, I am just bitter that our phones do not work at home.
Have a great day!
P.S. -- At the doctor's office on Friday Ashley was having contractions! It was pretty exciting/nerve racking. We will keep everyone posted.



2 comments:
Wow...Keep us posted, that is so exciting.
Can't wait to come to see Graham ..But I think I can pass on the earthquake experience while we are there OK?? HAHAAHAHA
How is everyone???
and news...how dilated and effaced is she??
I am so excited.
I am trying so hard to finish my vacation posts....but your day is coming up:)
Post a Comment